Grammy Awards Is Politics


I never had a plan to write this post or publish anything on this platform anymore, as my new website is under construction. But as I was browsing through the internet, I realized that The Grammy Awards is just five days away. Then I went back to make some personal research.
The outcome of this research birthed this impromptu publication, as I couldn't hold it back to myself.

I checked the Nigerian Top 100 music chart on Apple music, and I found Burna Boy still topping the chart with two songs Killin Dem and On The Low.

February 5th, 2019 and Burna Boy is still topping the charts on Nigerian Top 100

With how hard he worked last year, I feel he deserves a Grammy Nomination for a song as big as YE. Even the entire OUTSIDE album. Even if he won't win, a Grammy Nomination alone is a consolation prize for your hard work. A prove that your hard work is recognized. No wonder he was ranting about the font used in writing his name on the list of performing artiste at Coachella.

Which brings the question: is the Grammy Awards really the biggest Music Awards globally or just in the US? An award set up by the Americans for the Americans.


According to the words of the Chief Marketing Officer at The Recording Academy, Evan Greene: "The Grammy is the most important prestigious musical acknowledgement that an Artiste can receive"
So why is it hard for African musicians to get a Grammy?

Those  guys have really isolated us from the world generally.

With the rise in recognition and how hard a number of Artistes from Nigeria and Africa have worked, they should also be getting recognized at the Grammys.

Likes of Wizkid, Davido and Nasty C steady holding it down in the Rap genre.

Is it that they didn't hear the #StringsAndBling album or it's not just worth a nomination at the Grammys?

I know most of y'all will say how many people hear their songs there, fine. Let me put it to you too, how many people knows H.E.R globally

How many streams and download did Kacey Musgraves Golden Hour album get?

Yeah, I know they've got the content and nice production, but damn that #StringsAndBling album is a big project, loaded with fire tracks

How many of these guys who get Grammy nominations can sell out The 02 Arena,  H.E.R? Kacey Musgraves? Bebe Rexha? Dua Lipa? You think say na beans to sell out that venue? No be everybody dey sell out for there oo. Why do you think Davido was shouting “una papa!”, NOT everyone sell out the venue.

With how viral and big tracks like Davido's "IF" and "FALL", Wizkid's "OJUELEGBA", Burna Boy's "YE" are, they should get recognized at the Grammys too. Ojuelegba is actually one song that should win a Grammy.

If it's not politics, Ojuelegba should have won a Grammy. Wizkid and Davido suppose dey get Grammy nominations anyhow, you feel me?

These guys have been recognized by MTV awards, MOBO awards, They've been on the Billboard Hot 100, Tell me, what else does Grammy want? What's the criteria for getting a nomination? Is there something I'm missing?

Comments